Popularly known as Chadar River Trek or Zanskar trek or Ladakh Frozen River Trek - it is the only one of its kind in the whole world. The word “Chadar” means “blanket” and is representative of the sheet of ice cover that forms over the frozen Zanskar river in the dead of winter. You will realize on the trek, that it cannot be better described. The Chadar Frozen River Trek Ladakh as it is known today, is a walking route connecting villages along the Zanskar River during the winter. For centuries, this frozen river-bed has been used by the locals, for trade and transportation. This route is most reliable in the month of January or February when the sheet of ice is most stable and thick.
Zanskar river is a big and fast flowing river all round the year. It flows through a steep canyon, for the most part, between Chilling and the Zanskar valley. The trek is unique, it’s in high altitude and it’s on a frozen sheet of ice. This Ladakh trek from Chilling to Zanskar Valley takes more than a week. We would do most of the walking in the daylight hours, and have our own small private camp.
Viktorianz conducts Zanskar Valley trek only once a year and at a PREMIUM level and what makes us different from others is that, you are led by best in class guides, our groups are small & intimate, they are very well looked after with personal attention, our hotels & tents are superior and sited at better locations, our food would be variety & freshly cooked, the trekker to porters ratio is the best - you basically trek only with a small day pack. We are thus more committed to your privacy, safety, personal care, daily comforts - and directly contribute to sustained tourism practices. Once you land in Leh, except for the lunches and dinners during your Leh stay, we have everything you need for Zanskar trekking (from permits, insurances, airport transfers to equipment) all catered. Accommodation in Leh: Hotel Sinnge Palace or similar.
While it remains one of the most unique treks in Himalayas and has no comparisons anywhere in the World, the Chadar frozen river ice trek is sadly an endangered activity. We estimate that it will cease to exist within the next 5 years - due to environmental factors. There is over-use, global warming, receding glaciers and a road construction activity which is disturbing the natural rock face of the river gorge. In five years or so, once the road comes up, the life of the Zanskaris will be much simplified during winters and the Zanskar River trek will turn into an ancient local ritual, that once used to abuzz with activity for thousands of years. The road will steal the remoteness of the trek and bring hoards of local tourists to these pristine lands.
Important Notice : The local administration has made it compulsory for every trekker to get a Medical Fitness certificate from the local SNM hospital in Leh on the 3rd day of your arrival in Leh. You will not be allowed to perform Ladakh trekking without clearance from the hospital.
Join Viktorianz on this dream journey that is a winter trek in Ladakh, that would take you back in time, to experience simplicity of elements and stark nature.
- Accommodation: Premium Hotel in Leh on twin sharing basis ( you could upgrade to single share basis)
- Transport: Airport transfers, transfers to & from trek points - Chilling - to hotel in Leh, transport for Medical check up
- Meals: Breakfast only in the Leh hotel. While on the Trek all (veg) meal & snacks will be provided. Meals will be freshly prepared on camps and will have variety
- Professional trekking guide, one Assistant guide, helpers and kitchen staff would accompany the group.
- Mandatory Trekking permits and environmental fees
- Medical check-up on Day 3 at Local Hospital
- Equipment: Military grade sleeping bags, 2 men dual layered tents, 4 inch mattresses with thermocol water protection, safety gear for detours, oxygen cylinders, first aid box, safety ropes etc
- Rubber Gum Boots, are best suited for this trek - these would be provided as per your size
- A Porter would carry your ruck sack or luggage, except for a small day pack that you would carry with you.
- Adjustable Trekking Pole / stick per trekker - you actually would not need two.
- A welcome lunch on Day 2 and a Farewell dinner on last day
- Adventure Sports Insurance cover for a 10 day duration of trek
- 5% GST
- Transport for local sightseeing
- Personal equipment such as 2nd walking stick, rain coats, gloves etc
- International & Domestic flight and visas
- Medical emergency and evacuation - would be additonal costs
- Lunches and dinners in Leh or expenses of personal nature such as mineral water, laundry.
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Cost incurred due to change / extension in the itinerary due to roadblocks, bad weather condition, flight delays, vehicle breakdowns, etc
What to carry?
- Valid ID proof (Passport/Voter ID/Drivers Licence)
- 70 to 90 litre backpacks and a small day pack
- Water-proof trekking shoes - to be used in camps as also as an alternative
- One down jacket with hood, one fleece jacket, 2 full sleeeves sport Ts
- 2 Sets of Thermal inners - upper and lower body
- 2 Trekking pants that can be closed at bottom
- Sun block cream
- Warm balcalava, and two warm buffs
- UV protected Sun goggles preferably with a strap
- Strap on Studs for shoes to help walk on ice sheet ( optional & available on Amazon)
- Spare under garments and 2 layers of socks ( plan for four changes at least)
- Flashlight with extra batteries (preferably a compact head wearable)
- Heat retaining water bottle, preferably wide mouthed, with at least one litre capacity
- Personal toiletries - hand sanitiser, toilet roll, tooth paste & brush, UV protected moisturiser
- Qucik drying camp hand towel
- Power bank for phones or camera with charging cables, your music may be
- Something to munch - energy bars, chikki etc
You Must Read This Before SIgn Up for this Trek :
By signing up for a trip with Viktorianz, you acknowledge that you have voluntarily applied to participate in this trip and that you have read the description of the trip as it appears on the website and the information below:
Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in some situations, beyond our usual control, we may have to compromise on the campsite & adjust to these situations then & there. The final call will be taken by our Lead Guide on location.
The itinerary mentioned here should be viewed as one in the ideal conditions & we may have to make some on the spot changes due unavoidable circumstances.
The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible while trekking. Some situations such as detours cannot be predicted with accuracy, which may disturb the time plan. That is normal in Himalayan treks.
You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness, being able to walk for several hours at a normal pace as well as to take care of your own equipment. We expect you to know the usual camping rules and etiquettes.
You are required to produce a Medical Fitness certificate to undertake this trek, before starting the trip.
The minimum age restriction for this trip is 18. Please do not ask us to compromise on this aspect.
All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part-taking in such outdoor activities.
Viktorianz reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes.
- We have a zero trash tolerance policy. We always clean up ourselves on all hikes and trips.
- We use portable T3 tents and portable toilets and wash basins at our campsite which are cleared and wrapped up at the end of each journey.
- Our camp locations are temporary and we don’t keep any permanent fixtures at the location.
- We say NO to plastics
- Be Local – there is no harm learning a few local words while you are there. It always helps in building a rapport with the locals and blend in. Try to eat and buy locally.
- Carry your own water bottles.
Equipment & Safety
- We use comfortable mattresses with minus 30 degree sleeping bags
- There is no electricity at most of our campsites as they are at remote locations. We use solar powered tent lamps. Please conserve them to last for whole trek
- Our trips require a moderate level of fitness. As a rough yard stick, If you are able to walk 12 kms with a 5 kg back pack in 3 hours, you should be good to go for this trek
- The maximum altitude for treks can go upto 11,400 ft. There is not much of climbs or descent except for detours if any
- Drink lot of water to stay hydrated and to avoid mountain sickness
- We always carry a first aid kit and a portable oxygen canisters for emergencies
- Average of two guides are provided for a group of 10 people - to provide close monitoring and safety
|09 Jan 2021||18 Jan 2021|
|Trip to Pangong Tso Lake with Extra Day in Leh||1|
|Single Occupancy Room or Tent||-|
" What was unique about the trip was the huge safety factor that was built into the trek- without which we could have had accidents in the treacherous terrain and the extreme weather. Right from the pre-trek preparation - where we were constantly told and monitored about our physical, mental and medical preparedness; to the selection of the best guides and porters, the amazing guide-to-participant ratio (2 for 10), the medical and safety equipment carried, the duty of care exercised by the guides, and the focus on 'slow and steady'. In addition, the administrative arrangements were superb, ensuring that we had good hot food at the end of every arduous day, excellent sleeping arrangements and eco-friendly toilets. There was huge emphasis on an 'eco-friendly' approach, and all of us were encouraged to clear the litter of other thoughtless trekkers, to preserve the pristine look of the locale. All in all, a fantastic experience for the discerning and responsible adventurer - as opposed to the lackadaisical attitude of the so called 'budget tours’!"
" Felt like a winner after completing the trek...and gave the confidence to conquer the world. What an extraordinary experience!! Thanks to Viktorianzs who made this trip seamless and an unforgettable experience. In the hardest of conditions and weather extremes all our basic needs were looked after and all that we had to do was explore the place and embrace the challenges. The food was great and evenings well planned. The omnipresence of Mike and his team was a great support and gave the confidence to keep moving on. I strongly recommended Viktorizan to all those who love adventure. It was absolutely amazing trip....Thankyou."
" An awesome trek organised in a flawless manner. All aspects specially preparation, advice, logistics and briefings were done in an extremely professional manner. Kudos to Viktorianz. Will recommend to family and friends for their wide range of pathbreaking initiatives"